What better way to make Mom feel loved and special than to give her a gift or a treat right from the hearts for Mother’s Day! Let me suggest some ways to surprise Mom and make her smile and be happy on this special day.
- Surprise Mom by waking up early to prepare a special breakfast for her. Think of her favorite food, cook it and arrange it on a tray applying some artistic presentation. Put flowers on the tray, a message card and serve the breakfast while she’s still in bed. Who knows, you maybe an instant social media celebrity because she would post and share a photo of the special breakfast you made for her shouting out your name to the whole world, being so proud of you.
- Record her favorite song ( never mind how you sing, it’s the thought that matters )or a poem especially made for Mom and play it right at the very time she exits the bedroom in the morning of Mother’s Day. You may hide while playing it then come out and hand her the gift you prepared or bought for her, kiss her and say “I love you, mom”. Do not hesitate or withhold your expression of love even if you are not the showy type, it’s time for a change. You love your mother, right? Let her feel your sincerity.
- For those kids who saved money to surprise their mom this Mother’s Day but still thinking of ways how to, you may bring her to a beauty parlor for hair-dos, spas and some make-over or to a massage parlor for her body’s relaxation. Moms are busy the whole year tending to the family’s needs that she didn’t have time to do these things though she wished to because of her unselfish love, she prioritized your needs and forget about hers. This is your turn to grant her wish and make her happy.
- Bring Mom to a shopping mall and let her choose what she wants. ( as long as your budget or savings for mother’s day will suffice ) Some mothers may refuse because of their concern to your needs but if you insist and let Mom know you really want to give her what she wants to buy for herself, she may give in to your persuasion. You may ask her ahead of time in unobvious manner during a casual conversation so as to have an idea what best store to bring her to.
- Take her out for a dinner in a restaurant. If you can afford it, you may bring her to a fine-dining one, anyway Mother’s Day is just once a year. Make her celebration of this day special and unforgettable.
- For the artistic, creative kids out there, I suggest a D.I.Y. craft as gift to your mother. She will appreciate it because you put your effort and time doing your present for her. It’s with a personal touch of her beloved child, so she will surely treasure it. For those who know how to sew, you can make a quilted tote bag made of nicely colored fabrics or a bag made from old denim pants, a personalized photo frame made of corrugated cartons or other recyclable materials, an organizer, a vase from recycled bottles with personalized designs and dedication, etc.
- For the mothers who love plants, she will appreciate a new addition to her plant collections. Give her a species that she still didn’t have in her garden.
- If you don’t have savings or cannot really afford to buy any gift for mom, you can show your love and appreciation by pampering her the whole day. How? Do all the household chores for her and let her have a rest day. Mothers will appreciate it and will be happy that even for just once a year, you take off the burdens from her shoulders, willingly.
- For those who can afford to buy expensive gifts for their mother, a set of jewelry is a great one, or a branded perfume, or a signature tote bag, or a pair of shoes, or expensive wristwatch. Sounds extravagant? If you are financially capable and you really want to make her happy, why not? But these are just material things, but if you can afford it and you’ll give it to Mom out of a sincere, grateful heart and your appreciation for all her sacrifices for your sake, it will make your mom teary-eyed, for sure.
Regardless of our financial status, we have no excuse not to let our mother feel their importance, even in simple, small things and gestures. You can never repay her: she carried you inside her body for long nine months, endured the pain and hardship in labour to deliver you in this world, willingly had sleepless nights to take care of you when you’re sick, took care of you and assured of your welfare as you grow, taught you values and lessons in life and always praying for you. In other words, she was an instrument of God to form your life. These suggestions are just few of the many ways to surprise her and let her know you love and honor her. It’s best to do it while she can still know, see and feel it. If we keep on procrastinating to show mom our love and gratitude, the word “next year” maybe too late.
Exodus 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.”
Proverbs 15:20 “A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish man despises his mother.”
Proverbs 1:8 “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching,”
Proverbs 23:22-25 “Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.”